You hear it all the time:
“Freelancing is a numbers game. You have to send out a ton of queries to get a few people to say yes.”
Ouch! Stop it. Don’t you know that every time you buy into this numbers crapshoot, a freelance fairy dies?
If you send out a ton of GOOD queries, you’ll boost your chances of getting hired.
No matter how many terrible queries you send, all you’re likely to get is an empty inbox. Or maybe you’ll get lucky and find one or two leads willing to give you a shot at $5 per post.
Dashing off sloppy pitches to every blog in the universe is not the most profitable use of your time.
So, where do your pitches or queries stand on the spectrum from good to terrible? And how can you spend your time the best way to get the biggest rewards?
Instead of writing a long blog post about this, I snagged Gary Korisko — a copywriter, blogger at Reboot Authentic, and expert in monetizing blogs without sacrificing authenticity — to join me for a live discussion on the topic. Don’t worry, you haven’t missed it; I recorded the whole thing.
I planned to add this to the ever-growing library of bonus videos and other resources in The Freelance Blogger’s Client Hunting Masterclass. But it’s so damn useful I’ve decided to make this mini-class available to everyone for free. 🙂
Watch this video to find out exactly why freelance blogging is NOT a numbers game, and what to do about it.
- 00:53 — the concept of the Numbers Game
- 07:00 — how to get noticed in an inbox full of competing offers
- 11:35 — why you DON’T want your marketing to be too easy
- 13:20 — why people are “too smart” to hire you at first glance
- 20:25 — how to show potential clients you understand what they need
- 27:00 — Gary Korisko’s top 3 elements of a winning query email
If you liked this video
Want to learn how to find, approach and win the big-budget clients who’ll pay for you to live in freelance freedom?
The Freelance Blogger’s Client Hunting Masterclass is designed to get you better gigs and more cash with less effort. If that sounds like what you need, check it out here.
Links to stuff we mentioned
- Gary Korisko’s blog, Reboot Authentic
- His epic post The Law of Large Numbers — And Why You May Not Hear From Me Again
- Helpful posts on Be a Freelance Blogger about how to contact potential clients:
- Freelance Proposals: How One Newbie Won 5 Gigs in 3 Days
- How to Sell Your Blog Posts Without Selling Your Soul
- Why Publicly Available Gigs Suck for Freelance Blogging… And an Alternative That Doesn’t
- 5 Easy Ways to Get More Blogging Pitches Accepted
- Here’s What Real Blog Editors Look for in Your Pitches
- Freelance Writers, Beware: The 4 Query Mistakes That Kill Your Client’s Interest
- 7 Winning Ways to End Your Pitch, Query or LOI
- Get your 2 free ebooks from Gary Korisko at rebootauthentic.com/sophie
- Check out Gary’s one-on-one clarity coaching for personalised guidance